It will also be included in the next version of the offline GABC Transcription Tool app for Chrome.
This tool allows you to select a Sunday or other feast (I think there are probably still some that I need to add) and it will populate fields for Introit, Gradual, Alleluia, etc. Then you can select whether to use the full tone or a psalm tone for each proper. You can get a PDF of the whole thing by clicking the link in the upper right. I have copied the GABC for all the full propers from gregobase.selapa.net, and there may be mistakes. You can click on the title above the textarea with the GABC in it to go to its page in gregobase.selapa.net and edit it.
Because it includes the ability to set the propers to psalm tones, it may be appropriate to quote the liber brevior from the beginning of its section of psalm toned graduals, tracts, and alleluias:
These abridged chants are intended exclusively for churches where it is not possible to properly execute all the melodies of the Roman Gradual and for which a simple melody of the Sacred Texts is tolerated (S. C. R. N° 3697). Where there are Choirs sufficiently trained, the official Chant of the Gradual must be kept.
Suggestions and comments are welcome.
You are amazing! This is so handy! I wish I could get more people to sing the proper propers, but first step get them reading more than one psalm tone.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for this. When I originally saw GABC I went into a cold sweat at the sight of the code! (I don't do any sort of code, you see). However, coming back to it again - and having a project that I need to produce some music for - I've tried to learn it properly and I'm starting to really get into it. It's so much easier now! I'm rattling off a compline for a youth holiday I help run and it really looks professional. Thanks!!! Paul.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, was it you that produced the chant app for android? I've got that too and it's been very, very useful!
PS Are there a limited number of times you can use the online live 'engraver'? I haven't yet plucked up the courage to download everything onto the computer!
Paul,
DeleteNo, I haven't written any chant apps for android.
Also, there is no limit to the number of times you can use the online engraver hosted by Illuminare Publications.
Together with the GregoBase and Illuminare, I think this tool will herald a new era in gregorian chant availability and usage. Thank you for your foresight and effort.
ReplyDeleteThanks you so much
ReplyDelete